1. More than 40 % of the consumers say that information found via social media affects the way they deal with their health
This implies healthcare professionals must create educational content to inform patients about health related issues. They have to understand that people tend to trust social media although the information isn’t always correct.
2. 19% of smartphone owners have at least one health app on their phone. Exercise, diet and weight apps are the most popular types.
3. A recent study showed that 54% of patients are very comfortable with their providers seeking advice from online communities to better treat their conditions.
4. 60% of doctors say social media improves the quality of care delivered to patients.
This statistic is important because it shows that most doctors believe the transparency and authenticity that social media forces actually improves the quality of care.
5. International Telecommunications Union estimates that the global penetration of mobile devices has reached 87% as of 2011.