It’s good to have a clear view of all factors that influence medication adherence! A qualitative review of 102 studies resulted in very comprehensive Infographic. Let us have a further look at the demographic factors:
- Age: most of the studies (14) show an increased compliance, some (3) a decreased and some (4) show no effect on compliance at elderly patients. With middle-aged or young patients, all (7) examined studies show a decreased compliance!
- Caucasian: All (4) studies show an increased compliance
- Minorities: All (10) examined studies show no effect on compliance
- Gender: Most studies (11) show an increased compliance, some (4) a decreased compliance and some(6) show no effect at female patients
- Education level: only 2 studies show an decreased adherence, a few more (4) show an increase but the most (6) show no effect
- Marital status: five studies show an increased adherence and the same amount of studies show no effect on adherence on married status
Possible conclusion: although medication adherence support systems like to focus on the elderly, this doesn’t seem to be the most important target! It’s much more appropriate to look at other factors.